General Conditions for Use of COSTCO PREPAID CARD
Article 1 (Purpose of the General Conditions)
The General Conditions for Use (hereinafter referred to as “the Conditions”) stipulates the terms and conditions that apply to the use of the COSTCO PREPAID CARD (“the Card” defined below) issued by Costco Wholesale Japan, Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “the Company”), to “the Customers” (as defined below) .
Article 2 (Definitions)
The definitions of the terms used in the Conditions shall be as follows unless defined separately.
(1) The Card
This is the card issued by the Company which allows for the deposit of money on the card by converting the cash value into electronic data, and which permits the purchase of products with the deposited amount of money at the Costco warehouses and the Costco gas stations.
This is the person who possesses the Card and who either purchased the Card directly from the Company or received the Card indirectly from another individual who had purchased the Card from the Company and who will use the Card in accordance with all the Conditions.
This is the generic term for the products sold in the Costco warehouse stores that accept the Card (excluding some products designated by the Company such as gift certificates, cash vouchers excluding the Card, products sold in food courts, etc.), or the works and services provided in the Costco warehouse stores that accept the Card (excluding some works and services designated by the Company such as delivery fee at the delivery counter, etc.).
(4) Stores accepting the Card
These are the Costco warehouses and the Costco gas stations in Japan. The Customer understands that the Card may not be used at any non-Costco locations.
For the specific place and information of the stores accepting the Card, please see the website of the Company described in the end of the Conditions.
This is the monetary value equivalent to the amount of money deposited on the Card in order to allow the Customer to purchase products and services using the Card. The residual monetary value as of the day of the final use of the Card is hereinafter referred to as the “balance.” The Card balance cannot be applied as payments to any account or redeemed for cash except as may be required by law.
(6) Use for purchase of products
This is the generic term for the action of claiming the provision of products and receiving the products by presenting the Card with the balance necessary for the provision of the products to the stores accepting the Card.
(7) Deposit of money
This is the action of increasing the balance of the Card by the method designated by the Company.
(8) Balance inquiries
This is the action of checking the balance of the Card by presenting the Card to the store accepting the Card, or by other methods designated by the Company.
This is the generic term for the action of depositing money on the Card, checking the balance, and using the Card to purchase products or services.
Article 3 (Issue of the Card)
The Company shall issue the Card in the Costco stores accepting the Card, and the Costco members shall be able to commence using the Card by the deposit of money onto the Card. There will be no fee for the issue of the Card.
Article 4 (Precautions for the use of the Card)
1. The Card may not be used as a Costco membership card.
2. Without also presenting a valid Costco membership card, the Customer may not use the Card for the purpose of entering and shopping in Costco warehouses.
3. The Card may only be used by Costco members during the period within which their Costco membership is in effect. If the Customer no longer holds a valid Costco membership, he/she shall not be able to use the Card and shall not be entitled to any repayment, refund, etc. for the any balance remaining on the Card for any reason.
4. Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, persons who are not Costco members (hereinafter referred to as “Costco Non-members”) may also use the Card in the Costco warehouses and at Costco gas stations in Japan according to the following provisions.
① When using the Card in Costco warehouses, the Customer may enter the stores officially with a one-day shopping pass issued by the Company. If the Customer brings the Card when entering the Costco warehouses, the one-day shopping pass will, in principle, be issued through the prescribed procedure at the membership counter or the service counter, except for those Customers who cancelled their Costco membership within the prior 12 months, or have been issued a one-day shopping pass in the past. The Customer may use the Card to purchase gas at a Costco gas station without the need for a one-day shopping pass.
② When a Costco Non-member purchases any products or services using the Card, the additional fee of 5% of the sticker price in Costco warehouses will apply.
③ Costco Non-members will not be able to directly purchase the Card from the Company (have the Card issued) or deposit additional money on the Card.
④ When the balance of the Card has become zero, the Card will be collected.
⑤ The Customer shall observe all other general rules prescribed by the Company and the Conditions when shopping at a Costco warehouse.
5. It is strictly prohibited to resell the Card. However, the Card may be transferred for free (donated) to Costco members or Costco Non-members.
6. It is strictly prohibited to falsify, counterfeit, or alter the Card.
Article 5 (Method of the deposit of money)
1. The deposit of money on the Card shall be done exclusively by the terminal for prepaid cards designated by the company.
2. Costco members shall be able to deposit money in the Card by cash or the method of payment designated by the Company.
3. The minimum amount of money that may be deposited at any one time is 1,000 yen. All deposits must be made in increments of 1,000 yen.
4. The upper-limit amount of the value that can be accumulated in the Card shall be 49,000 yen each time, and up to 100,000 yen for each card.
Article 6 (Method of the use for purchase of products)
1. When purchasing products with the Card, the Card must be presented at the checkout counters where the Card is available in the stores accepting the Cards. The total amount of purchase of the products shall be deducted from the balance of the Card, which results in the same effect as payment by cash.
2. If the balance of the Card is less than the total amount of purchase of products, then either (a) additional funds shall be deposited on the Card following the method of the preceding paragraphs, or (b)the balance due shall be paid by cash or such other method of payment designated by the Company.
3. In Costco warehouses, up to two Cards may be used at the time of payment. However, at Costco gas stations, up to one Card may be used for each payment.
4. After using the Card for the purchase of products by any of the above methods, the Customer shall receive a receipt, statement, or other document designated by the Company (hereinafter referred to as “the receipt”), which indicates the amount that has been deducted from the value of the Card (equivalent to the total amount of purchase of products), and the resulting balance of the Card after the use of the Card. The Customer should confirm immediately that there is no mistake in the items described in the receipt. Unless the Customer informs the Company of any mistakes when receiving the receipt, it the Customer shall be deemed to have confirmed that there is no mistake in the items described in the receipt.
5. Even when the Customer has more than one Card, the balance of each Card shall not be able to be integrated into one Card.
Article 7 (Method of balance inquiries)
1. The Customers may check the balance of the Card by presenting the Card to the exclusively by the terminal for prepaid cards designated by the company in the stores accepting the Cards.
2. The Customer may also check the balance on the website designated by the Company. In order to use the Costco website, the 16-digit card number and the 6-digit PIN number set forth on the back of the Card shall be necessary.
3. The Customer may check also review a record of purchases made using the Card as well as the balance of the Card on the Costco website. However, for the convenience of the system, the information provided in the record, and the number of purchase transactions displayed on the website shall be determined by the Company.
■Website for checking the balance of the Card
Article 8 (Refund)
1. The Card itself or the amount of the balance of the Card may not be redeemed for cash or refunded, except in the following cases.
2. If the Company has decided to terminate its Card program in its entirety due to any change in circumstances, or as a result of any new laws or regulations that may be enacted or any change or abolitionment of any existing laws or regulations, etc., or for any other reasons determined by the Company, the Customer shall be entitled to a refund of the balance of the Card. In this case, the Company shall verify the balance of the Card according to the prescribed method, and based on the result, the Company shall refund the amount after collecting the Card.
Article 9 (Reissue)
1. When the Card has been lost or stolen, or it has been used by a third party without permission of the Customer, the Company will not be able to invalidate the Card or stop the Card from functioning. Also, in such an event, the Customer shall not be entitled to any refund or any replacement Card. Also when a problem has occurred with respect to the use of the Card due to fraud or theft, etc., the Customer shall not be entitled to any refund or any replacement of the Card.
2. To avoid damaging the functions of the Card, please do not stain or fold the Card, or bring it close to magnetism.
3. When the Card has been damaged, or no longer functions properly, the Company shall issue the Customer a new Card with a value equal to the current amount of balance provided that (a) the Customer relinquishes the old Card to the Company , (b) the Company reasonably determines that the damage has not been caused by the Customer’s intentional misuse or gross negligence, and (c) the number of the Card can be obtained from either the Card’s magnetic strip or from the back of the Card. The design and form of the new Card shall be determined by the Company in its sole discretion, and without the right of the Customer to make any objection. In addition, instead of issuing a new Card, the Company shall determine to refund the remaining amount in some cases.
Article 10 (Unauthorized acquisition, use, etc.)
1. In any of the following cases, the Company may refuse the use of the Card, and consider the Card itself as invalid. In such a case, the Company may demand that the Customer relinquish the Card to the Company, or retain the Card if the Company already has possession of it, and the Customer shall not have any right to claim any refund, or the reissuance or the replacement of the Card.
① When the Customer has acquired the Card by an unauthorized method, or has used or tried to use the Card while knowing that the Card has been acquired by an unauthorized method.
② When the Card is falsified, counterfeited, or altered regardless of whether such acts were performed by the Customer or someone else.
③ When the Customer has violated any of these Conditions.
2. If the respective items prescribed in the preceding paragraphs are suspected, the Company shall have the right to temporarily reject the use of the Card in order to research the matter, and maintain possession of the Card while conducting such research.
Article 11 (Limitation on the expiration date for the use) [Important matters]
1. If the Card has not been used for twelve or more months following the date of last use of the Card, the Card shall become invalid. In such a case, the Card shall be deemed invalid and the Customer is not able to use the Card which is invalid and shall not entitled to any repayment, refund, etc.
2. The Customer may check the date the Card was last used, and the expiration date of the Card by the method of balance inquiries prescribed in Article 7. When the balance has been checked before the expiration of twelve months following the date of last use of the Card, the date of the last use shall be re-established to the date the balance inquiry is made.
3. The Customer shall be responsible for monitoring the expiration date of the Card at his/her own risk.
Article 12 (System maintenance, failure, etc.)
The Company takes all possible measures to ensure the design and the management of the system for the Card. However, there may be temporary interruptions in the use of the Card without notice in all or a select number of the stores accepting the Card, due to blackouts, system failures, maintenance, measures for card counterfeiting, and other unavoidable circumstances. In this case, the Company shall assume no responsibility for any inconvenience or damages caused by the temporary inability to use the Card.
Article 13 (Entrustment of the operations)
The Company may entrust the operations concerning the Card to a third party.
Article 14 (Prohibition of the setting of the security right such as the right of pledge, etc.)
1. The Customer shall not be able to set the security such as the right of pledge, etc. for the Card.
2. The Company shall not be held responsible for any inability of the Customer to establish any security for the Card pursuant to violation of the preceding paragraph.
Article 15 (Jurisdiction)
If a dispute regarding the use of the Card or the application of any of these Conditions occurs between the Customer and the Company, the Tokyo Summary Court, or the Tokyo District Court shall have exclusive jurisdiction for the first trial.
Article 16 (Change of the Conditions)
1. The Conditions may be changed without notice to the Customer.
2. The Company discloses the Conditions on the Company’s website and in the stores accepting the Card, and if any change is made to the Conditions, the Company shall show the changed Conditions on the Company’s website and in the stores accepting the Card, for the specified period.
3. When the Customer has used the Card after the Company makes any change to the Conditions, the Customer shall be deemed to have agreed to the changed Conditions.
The Conditions shall be applied from May 29th, 2015.
Contact for COSTCO PREPAID CARD
Costco Wholesale Japan, Ltd.
5F, 3-1-4, Ikegamishincho, Kawasaki-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 210-0832, Japan
Issuer of COSTCO PREPAID CARD
Costco Wholesale Japan, Ltd.
5F, 3-1-4, Ikegamishincho, Kawasaki-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 210-0832, Japan