How we operate
We look forward to serving you as a new Costco Member. Your membership and the privileges and conditions of membership are described below. If you have any questions, please ask our member service personnel at any Costco membership counter.
- ・Membership is available to all qualifying individuals of 18 years and over.
- ・Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant and membership is revocable without cause.
- ・Membership is subject to any and all rules adopted by Costco and these rules may be amended from time to time without notice.
- ・Membership includes a free household card for any individual over the age of 18 years living at the same address. Proof of identification is required.
2. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- ・On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, and will refund your purchase price.
- ・On Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time during the membership term if you are dissatisfied.
3. Membership cards
- ・Membership cards are valid at any Costco worldwide until the same month of the next year from enrollment of the primary cardholder.
- ・Membership cards must have a membership number and a photo to be valid. You will be requested to show your card when entering the warehouse and when checking out at the register.
- ・Membership cards may be terminated at Costco’s discretion. Cards remain the property of Costco and must be returned upon request.
- ・Membership cards are for the exclusive use of the originally registered member. Cards are not transferable.
4. Renewing, adding or deleting cards
- ・The primary member must authorize the renewal or cardholder changes, including additions or deletions, and is responsible for the account.
- ・You may renew at any warehouse in Japan.
- ・The month on which you originally joined as a Costco member will be your month of renewal every year in the future.
- ・Memberships renewed within 2 months after expiration of the current membership year will be extended for 12 months from the expiration date. Memberships renewed more than 2 months after such expiration will be extended for 12 months from the renewal date.
- ・Membership renewal must be completed for all cardholders when renewal is processed.
- ・Please bring your card (including spouse card) to the membership counter when canceling membership. We will request a photo ID to reissue replacement cards. Once you cancel your membership, you are unable to join again as a new member for 12 months. Also, a membership card is unavailable for individuals of 18 years and over living at the same address to join as a new member for 12 months.
- ・We welcome payment by cash, Costco Orico MasterCard* (co-brand) and American Express in Japan. The primary member is responsible for purchases by any additional cardholders. *Costco in other countries accepts different types of credit cards.
- ・Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests into the warehouse over the age of 18 years. Only members may pay for purchases.
- ・Members are responsible for any items opened or damaged by their guests, children, or by themselves.
- ・We accept merchandise refunds and membership refunds at the membership counter.
- ・For tire return, please see a local Tire Center.
- ・Children must be accompanied by their parents or guardian at all times.
7. Electronics and Diamond return policy
- ・Electronics*: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Major Appliances, Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Cameras, Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones. * NOTE: The 90-day refund policy is effective for purchases made on or after 3/1/2016. All previous purchases are NOT subject to the new 90-day policy.
- ・Diamonds: 1.00ct or larger: Members returning a diamond over 1.00ct will not be given an immediate refund. Instead, a “Keeping Receipt” will be issued for the item pending verification of authenticity by a Costco appointed certified Gemologist, and the member must provide Costco all the original paperwork, including the IGI and GIA certificates. Once the item has been verified, the warehouse will be authorized to process the refund and will contact the member. The verification will take no longer than five business days, except during a holiday. In this case, the warehouse will confirm the completion date as it will vary depending on the holiday.
- (Effective from April 22nd, 2015)
8. We respect your right to privacy.
- ・We collect the personal information that you provide us, such as when you sign up or renew your Costco membership. The personal information we collect is generally used to process your requests or transactions, provide you with high-quality service, tell you about opportunities we think will be of interest, and understand your needs so that we can serve you better. Please see our privacy statement on www.costco.co.jp for detailed information on our privacy practices.
9. General Policies
- ・To ensure that all members are correctly charged for merchandise received, all receipts will be checked as you leave the warehouse.
- ・Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, purse etc. upon entering or leaving the warehouse. Members are requested to deposit bags in the coin lockers.
- ・Costco can only accept refunds and returns from members who purchase directly from Costco.
- ・Costco policy does not allow employees to visit members at the members’ homes for any reason.
- ・When reselling the merchandise purchased at the Costco warehouses, it is prohibited to indicate “Costco in katakana” or “Costco” trademarks except that “Costco in katakana” or “Costco” in plain letters are used in the materials describing the merchandise, to indicate the source of the merchandise, in a common way.